Cesar Azpilicueta ‘happy’ at Chelsea amid reported Barcelona interest









 Cesar Azpilicueta has told Marca that he is not interested in “flattering” speculation linking him with a summer move to Barcelona because he feels “very valued” at Chelsea.
Barca are still looking for a long-term successor to Dani Alves at right-back, having played midfielder Sergi Roberto out of position for much of the 2016-17 campaign ahead of Aleix Vidal, and have reportedly identified Azpilicueta along with Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin as potential targets.
But the 27-year-old, who on Sunday became only the fourth outfielder to play every minute of a Premier League title-winning season for Chelsea, insists he is happy and settled at Stamford Bridge.
“It’s flattering that a club like Barcelona can be interested in you,” he said. “Last year, after a bad season on a collective level, we did not have those types of rumours. However, this season we have been crowned Champions and this type of story indicates that we have done well.
“Interest from teams of this level is very positive but I am very happy here. I feel very valued by the club and I do not think of anything else.”Azpilicueta has become a hugely popular figure among teammates and supporters at Chelsea since his arrival from Marseille for £6.5 million in the summer of 2012, making 229 appearances in all competitions and winning two Premier League titles as well as the Europa League and League Cup.
First establishing himself at left-back under Jose Mourinho, Azpilicueta moved to the right soon after Conte’s arrival and has performed impressively as a central defender since the decision to switch to a 3-4-3 formation in September.
The Spain international, who has emerged as a candidate to succeed the departing John Terry as Chelsea captain, signed a new contract in December that will keep him at Stamford Bridge until June 2020.

Post a comment

0 Comments