South African trade unions ban Jacob Zuma from its meetings [READ IT]







The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) has resolved that president Jacob Zuma will no longer be welcome to address its initiatives.
The union announced on Tuesday that the decision had been taken during a meeting.
Cosatu secretary-general Bheki Ntshalintshali said the banning of the President “will be communicated to the ANC, including implications for the alliance”.
“We have agreed with the position of workers that allowing Zuma to address the May Day rally was not consistent with our position that we no longer trusted and supported Zuma’s leadership,” said Mr Ntshalintshali.
ZUMA BOOED
Earlier this month, President Zuma was booed at a Cosatu May Day rally in Bloemfontein.
His arrival at the Workers Day event was met with jeers and heckling, forcing the federation to cancel all scheduled speeches on the day.
Workers made it clear that the under-fire President was unwanted at the rally.
Cosatu president S’dumo Dlamini was also not spared the booing when he called for unity as well as the ruling African National Congress (ANC) national executive committee member, Ms Naledi Pandor whose attempts to address workers failed on the same day.
The hostility shown towards the president came after a request by three Cosatu affiliates that President Zuma be barred from addressing the rally.
DROUGHT DISASTER
The South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU), the National Health Education and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU) and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) sent letters to Cosatu’s national office bearers a week before the May Day celebrations, protesting President Zuma’s invitation.
Meanwhile, South Africa’s Western Cape region which includes Cape Town declared a drought disaster on Monday as the province battled its worst water shortages for 113 years.
Boreholes will be drilled at hospitals in Cape Town, a popular international tourist destination, a mobile desalination plant will be tested and the natural aquifer at Table mountain will be tapped.
Southern African nations are reeling from a two-year drought which has affected over 40 million people, according to UN figures, and was caused by the El Nino climate phenomenon.
“(Regional leader) Helen Zille has officially declared the Western Cape a disaster area in response to the current drought crisis — the worst since 1904,” the Western Cape government said in a statement.

Post a comment

0 Comments